Thursday 11 April 2013

The Race! Days Four and Five

Days four and five of the Marathon des Sables 2013

News from the field...


Day 4/5, 54 degrees, 76km - Well I keep thinking this race can't get any more difficult and emotional and I'm proved wrong every time.  I started the 76km long stage yesterday at 8.30am and finished this morning at 5am. I spent the time with my tent mate Daz and so glad I did as we both suffered fairly severe heat stroke. I nearly passed out on the course and Daz wasn't aware who was around him at one point. We stopped at the checkpoint and recovered and then went on through the night, me getting very emotional with exhaustion, bursting into tears across the finish line.  Another tent mate withdrew early on so this desert has now claimed two of my tent mates.  It's currently 35 degrees in the shade and people are still coming across the finish line! I have to say though that the people here are absolutely amazing, everyone helping everyone, no matter the cost to them.  Today is rest and recovery, my feet still aren't blistered but my gaiters are failing and my skin is raw from sand in my shoes. Still, no injuries, just ache!

No comments:

Post a Comment