Monday 4 March 2013

With A Little Help From My Friends

Question: Can you run an ultra marathon with food poisoning?

Answer: Yes, well sort of...

Now I realise that my next statement might confirm to some that I have a screw or two loose, very loose, but for my birthday this year I could think of nothing I'd rather do than run a 66 mile cross country race, in February (it’s not my fault I was born during one of the coldest months of the year). I entered the Pilgrim challenge back in October and spent months looking forward to it almost as much as the almighty MdS itself. The two day race would start at Farnham and follow the North Downs Way for 33 miles east on the Saturday and then return along the same route the following day.

With just two days to go before the race I came down with food poisoning. Consuming nothing but water and rivita's for two days straight left me feeling as strong as a paper bag in torrential rain, so I decided to help out at one of the checkpoints on the Saturday instead of running. I have to say, that was almost as much fun as being a competitor. I loved being able to help other runners and watch them head off in (hopefully) a better state than some of them had arrived in.

The following day I was feeling OK and having eaten more than crispbread the previous day I was feeling stronger. The tummy was making some interesting noises again but I decided I was going to run come hell or high water. Using up so much concentration to consider the state of my health, I was a little taken aback when everyone broke into 'Happy Birthday' for me at the start line, I'd completely forgotten. I guess that's old age for you.

Off we went in the dark and the first few miles went quite well. I'd run until my stomach was feeling like James Bonds' vodka martini, then walk until it settled. This method was working brilliantly until somewhere between checkpoint 1 and 2, when my body physically forced me into a walk. By the time I got to checkpoint 2, I was not a happy bunny. I barely spoke to the crew for fear that they'd see through my, by this point thinly veiled, "I'm OK" mask and pull me out.

I wandered off, dazed and dizzy, in the vague direction of checkpoint 3, which was a horrendously long 10 flippin’ miles away and, feeling very miserable, phoned my sister for some telephonic verbal medicine. "Happy birthday" she sung down the phone, which, upon hearing my voice, was quickly replaced with "You OK?". It's weird, I always knew what I had to do, but saying it out loud to my sister "I don't want to quit" made it real. So with some sisterly encouragement I dug deep into my oodles of stubbornness, pulled myself together and prepared to keep going. It just so happened that at this point my friend Rob caught up with me. He took one look at me and greeted me with "you look like death". Thanks Rob.

Rob stuck with me until the very end (I don’t mean that in an obituary sense) and I am very grateful that he did. What's more, he didn't say a word as I disappeared behind bushes of numerous shapes and sizes and patiently waited for me a little way down the path. I dragged myself across the finish line nearly 12 hours later, severely dehydrated and in a fair amount of pain but was greeted by smiling faces, my sister, dad, running friends, a lovely birthday cake and another chorus of "Happy Birthday".

So, it turns out you can ‘run’ an ultra marathon with food poisoning, it just takes a bit longer and you might need a little help from your friends.



~


I'm running the MdS to support the British Heart Foundation. Please take a moment to visit my sponsorship page and donate whatever you can afford. Many, many thanks
www.justgiving.com/lauranicholls2013

No comments:

Post a Comment