Friday 22 March 2013

Running is a Team Sport

When you imagine a runner, I'm guessing you'll picture an individual pounding the streets or trails and you would be forgiven for thinking that running is a lone sport.  In my experience this couldn't be further from the truth. If it wasn't for the many, many people who have supported me, I am confident I would not have made it through the endless training sessions towards the Marathon des Sables, the toughest foot race on Earth.

As I'm about to leave for the desert I feel so humbled and grateful when I look back over the last two years.  There are so many people I'd like to thank, but firstly I should start by thanking everyone who sponsored me and donated to my charity, the British Heart Foundation.  Without your support this whole journey would have been for nothing. Your support has helped a major charity fight against a number of heart related diseases and has also helped make this whole experience such a rewarding one for me.


I'd also like to thank all my friends and family who, for the last two years, have heard about nothing else except the MdS.  Endless (generally one sided) conversations, with me looking like a Duracell bunny on a sugar rush, going on and on and on about running, the desert, kit, scorpions, training and racing. I realise I've talked about nothing else for two years and I really do appreciate that none of you have ever said "change the record Laura," despite wanting to, I'm sure.  I promise from now on I'll attempt to make the conversations much more varied and entertaining.  Thank you all for indulging me.


In order to fund the Marathon des Sables I have been working two part time jobs where I have met nothing but support and encouragement from friends, colleagues and customers.  James Parker, from Suter's Yard, the biggest little bar in town, has been amazing and supported me throughout, giving me permission to use his bar to promote the race and raise money.  The staff there have also been amazing, giving up their time to help me fundraise, covering my shifts when I've been too knackered to work or been off on yet another training race and supporting me in more ways than I'm sure they even realise.


My second part time job is working as a Hostess in the VIP lounge for Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.  The club generously donated two match tickets towards my fundraising efforts which is greatly appreciated and helped move me a lot closer to my target.

Finally on the jobs front, a massive thank you must go to Dr. John Turner, my incredibly patient Ph.D. supervisor, who has supported this ridiculous adventure at perhaps the most difficult time of my career. I promise from now on, chemistry will not come a poor second and I will start writing that thesis!

There are a few individuals who I have to mention separately as they have gone above and beyond and kept me going throughout this sometimes difficult journey. A very special thank you to Julia, Katie and Sarah, (the 'A' team) and Woody. Thank you for all your words of encouragement and your endless help in putting together amazing fundraising events. Also, thank you to Chris Gallop for constantly reminding me, 'I'm nuts' and to both Chris and Mariusz for helping me move house just days before I fly to Morocco.  Finally, thank you to Adam Close for encouraging me to become a better runner and for his infinite patience when I couldn't quite make it up those hills.

A special thank you must go to my Mum and Dad.  As I'm sure you can appreciate, they've had some concerns about me running across the desert and I'm fairly sure I'm responsible for one or two sleepless nights.  However, they've supported me regardless of their own worries and I'll always be grateful for that.  Mum and Dad, you're amazing parents and without your guidance and encouragement over the last 34 years, I wouldn't even have had the guts to attempt such a feat.

Finally, I have to thank Emma, my sister, my inspiration and my best friend.  Emma has travelled across the country to be at the side lines of every single race I've done in the run up to the MdS. She's waited patiently in the cold and dark for me to drag my sorry backside across yet another finish line. She's counselled me when things have got tough and been there to celebrate the victories.  She's listened to my doubts and helped me find the confidence in myself.  My wonderful sister has been there for every step, leap and faulter towards the desert and without her I could not have got this far.  I can't even begin to express my gratitude and appreciation for having someone so special in my life, so I'm simple going to end with, thank you Emma, I hope one day I can be half the person you are.



~


I'm running the MdS to support the British Heart Foundation. Please take a moment to visit my sponsorship page and donate whatever you can afford. Many, many thanks
www.justgiving.com/lauranicholls2013

No comments:

Post a Comment