Wednesday 21 November 2012

Shoes Are A Girl's Best Friend

All you guys out there have probably spent many an hour being dragged around the shops while your lovely other half is tottering around the shoe department with the latest ankle breaker on her foot.  "What do you think" she says, "Lovely dear" you reply for the hundredth time.  Sound familiar?

Well, I can guarantee that in the case of MdS runners, this scene will be repeated up and down the country with only a few minor details changed.  For example, instead of tottering, we'll be pounding a treadmill in full view of bemused shoppers passing by.  Instead of the latest ankle breaker, we'll have the latest lightweight, off road, super cushioned, bright green trainers strapped to our feet.  And instead of asking "what do you think" runners will ask "do I over pronate in these?"

As you can imagine, shoe choice is a constant source of debate for MdS competitors.  The wrong shoe can make the difference between completing the desert race and getting so many blisters you're forced to retire.  Read any forum on desert racing and someone will ask, "which shoes are best" and of course, there is no right answer.  Every foot, stride and running style is different for every individual.  However, I recently attempted to make the decision for myself and headed into town for a day of shoe shopping.

I went to 'Runners Need' in Brighton and I don't think the shop manager Darren, really knew what to make of me as I rambled on about desert racing and buying shoes up to two sizes too big (the heat in the Sahara will make my feet swell up, a lot).  I wasn't really sure of what I wanted and informed him that the shoes needed to be light but very cushioned, breathable but made of a material that wouldn't let sand in easily.  I gave him an impossible wishlist, everything I wanted from the shoe contradicted the previous thing I had said I wanted.  Slightly bemused he went off and brought out shoe after shoe in many, many sizes.  After an hour of this I still couldn't decide, so he ordered even more shoes in various sizes so I could try them on the following week.

A couple of days later I thought of yet another model I wanted to try out, a quick phone call to Darren, who was fast becoming my new best friend, and those were on order too.  The following weekend I excitedly headed to the shop to try on the new delivery of trainers.  Yet another hour past by while I sprinted on the treadmill in various luminous coloured shoes, the very patient Darren looking on and puzzled shoppers passing by.

So after all this, which pair did I buy?

That's right, the first pair I had tried on.


~


I'm running the MdS to support the British Heart Foundation. Please take a moment to visit my sponsorship page and donate whatever you can afford. Many, many thanks
www.justgiving.com/lauranicholls2013

No comments:

Post a Comment