Wednesday 14 November 2012

Racing Rory Coleman

Bearing in mind what actually happened during my first ever marathon, a more appropriate title might be 'Stalking Rory Coleman' but let me explain...

Now for those of you who don't know, Rory Coleman is a legand in the ultra running world. Every conference or talk he gives, the room is packed out, standing room only. I went to the MdS expo a few weeks ago, rushed to get into his seminar and was glad I did as many people were turned away. It is through his advice that I managed to get my pack weight down from 10kg to 7.5kg (on paper at least).

Standing at the start line of the Beachy Head Marathon and who should I spot in the crowd a few rows in front of me, but the legend himself. The start gun went off, the crowd surged forward and I was surprised to find I was keeping pace with him. I'm sure Rory wasn't actually racing but using the event as a long slow training run, something which all runners do, but I was chuffed none the less and decided to try and keep up. Of course Rory had no clue that some weird woman was fixated on him a few metres behind and he certainly didn't know he was part of a fantasy race which only existed in said woman's mind.

For the first few miles I was ok and keeping pace quite well until we got to the top of the first big hill and the head wind was immense. I was being blown backwards and just not strong enough to keep up, dissapointed I watched as Rory dissapeared into the crowds. However, after every uphill, is a downhill. This was my chance. I picked up speed and before I reached the bottom I could see him again. This pattern continued for about 8 miles and I was feeling very proud of myself.

Unfortunately, a few miles further and an old injury started flaring up and despite chewing through nurofen like they were smarties, I was forced to walk. Gutted. Still, I continued at a slower pace and got through the rest of the Beachy Head Marathon which has been dubbed one of the toughest marathons in the UK. Most importantly, I enjoyed every minute of my first ever marathon. I will be back next year injury free, a lot more experienced and maybe, just maybe, I'll keep pace with Rory Coleman.


~


I'm running the MdS to support the British Heart Foundation. Please take a moment to visit my sponsorship page and donate whatever you can afford. Many, many thanks
www.justgiving.com/lauranicholls2013

No comments:

Post a Comment