Tuesday 30 October 2012

Food Glorious Food!

Most people seem to consider the average MdS competitor to be borderline insane, and they're probably right. I mean, running 156 miles in 50 degree heat with scorpions sharing your sleeping bag is hardly normal. However, believe it or not there are a hardcore few who would take it to the next level by sacrificing a luxury or two in order to run faster. Toothbrush, unnecessary; medical kit, ditched; food, who needs food? The MdS organisers therefore set a minimum pack weight of 6.5kg and to reach this minimum without starving to death, some imagination must be used. For example, I plan on unrolling a toilet roll in order to remove the cardboard interior. I will be taking a pair of scissors to almost everything, removing labels from clothes and any excess straps or tags will be butchered. Paracetamol will be popped out of its heavy plastic and foil wrappings and transported in light plastic bags and my toothbrush will have its handle chopped off. However, despite all these tricks, the majority of the weight in everyones pack will be down to food. So how do you ensure one weeks worth of breakfast, lunch and dinner weighs no more than 3kg? This is where the fun starts!

Most people spend their lives counting calories, watching what they eat and skipping on dessert because they still feel guilt over the last indulgence. Type food into your search engine and it won't be long before you're faced with the latest fat busting tips. However, type in calorie dense food and see what you get. Burgers, chocolate, nuts and cheese, yum yum! And best of all, I have to test all this food out before I even get to the desert, happy days.

Did you know, one of the most calorie dense foods are brazil nuts, which also happen to be my favourite. Lucky me. I will be pricking holes in crisp packets, squashing out all the air and in the process creating a yummy crisp dust and then taping up the holes. Breakfast will consist of muesli and powdered milk followed by chocolate pop tarts. If all that lovely gooey chocolate can survive a toaster, it can survive the Saharan heat. Jelly babies are also on the menu and best of all, so is salt. Now this may seem weird, but those of you who've seen me eat fish and chips will know, a friend once described my delicious meal as a Christmas snow scene. So out with the plain peanuts and pistachios and in with the salty goodness. My desert menu really is all my favourites rolled into a week of food glorious food!


~


I'm running the MdS to support the British Heart Foundation. Please take a moment to visit my sponsorship page and donate whatever you can afford. Many, many thanks
www.justgiving.com/lauranicholls2013

No comments:

Post a Comment